The pilot Carlos Sainz currently at McLaren, although he will compete with Ferrari next year, has positively valued the confirmation of the new 2020 World Cup calendar with eight first tests in Europe behind closed doors . "Formula 1 has found a coherent and realistic solution," he said on Radio Nacional, before adding: "We are going to be able to compete, something that many of us needed."
Sainz, 25, who last season finished sixth in the championship was interviewed this Tuesday on Radiogaceta de los Deportes. The son of the double world rally champion and triple winner of the Dakar Rally, with the same name, has been excited about his recent signing for Ferrari which he has described as "a dream come true" that he carries " persecuting since childhood, which is the fruit of the work of all these years. "
Regarding this season, he has been satisfied with the announcement that the first weekend of July will kick off, with the Austrian Grand Prix a World Cup marked by the suspensions and postponements derived from the COVID-19 pandemic.
"I think, obviously, all this comes from a job of many months and after many cancellations, in many countries that have suffered the terrible of the coronavirus pandemic," he said. "Formula 1 has found a coherent solution, a solution that seems optimistic and at the same time realistic; and I think that these first eight races in Europe, if we continue to do things well; maintaining levels of awareness and security, to avoid the virus as much as possible and try to protect ourselves they will be carried out without any problem, "said the Madrid driver about the start, within a month, of the championship.
The FIA (International Automobile Federation) announced this day that the Spielberg Red Bull Ring will host the first two tests, on July 5 and 12; a week before the Hungarian Grand Prix (19), on the outskirts of Budapest. The legendary Silverstone (England, Great Britain) will host the next two races, on August 2 and 9, before the Grand Prix of Spain takes place on Montmeló (Barcelona) on the 16th of this month ]. The Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps and the Italian Grand Prix at Monza will take place on these legendary circuits on August 30 and September 6, respectively.
The inverted grill "scares"
"We are going to be able to compete, something that many of us needed," explained Carlos Sainz. " The industry needs it . And surely many people want to start enjoying the sport from home," he added.
"A shorter World Cup makes each race count more" and, therefore, "it will take priority to make as few errors as possible", he continued. And about the possibility that there could be races with the grid reversed, in order to add excitement, the Spanish rider has said that he "is scared of changing the sport in such an aggressive way". "It is as if in football, the one that goes first, to give him excitement, starts the game one to zero below," he has compared.
– RadiogacetaRNE (@RadiogacetaRNE) June 2, 2020
"I think that the inverted grill is not necessary, although in a sport in which there are teams that are much superior to the others may be an option. I would not mind trying, experimenting this year. It would have to be seen. But in the end, the races with inverted grill are more fun, and that would be a problem for the organization, "he said.
Sainz is already in London, McLaren's headquarters. "I arrived a couple of days ago and I am working with my coach, especially in the gym. I also want to be close to the team, in case I ever have to go to the simulator or something like that," he said. . "McLaren is an incredible team, with a family spirit that I have not seen before in F1," he added about his team. "We must continue along the same lines as last year which was very good", he concluded